Monday, August 8, 2011

Remembering Dick

August the 8th. In honor of today, I thought I’d talk about one of my favorite movies. What? What’s that you say? ‘But Hero, what’s so significant about August 8th?’ (and no, it’s not the double 8). Today, for those of you who forget your American History, is the anniversary of the day Richard Milhous Nixon resigned his presidency. That was in 1974, again, for those of you who can’t remember such things.

Poor old Tricky Dick. Over all, he got a bum steer as a president. Don’t get me wrong, I know what he did was illegal and all of that. I just mean that because of Watergate no one remembers the good things he did as president. But we’ll save that for some other post when I’m really desperate for something to talk about. (let's pray that day never comes) This post is about a movie.

That movie is Dick, starring Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams. It’s a scream! I know, I know - you're thinking 'But Hero, I've never heard of this movie!' And that's why I am here, to remedy this terrible oversight.

It's a spoof of the whole Watergate investigation. Dunst and Williams play Betsy and Arlene; two teenagers who get mixed up with the whole thing. They are a pair of dim-witted girls who care only about clothes, make-up and Bobby Sherman. But when they get lost during a school field trip to the White House they are given the opportunity to be Official White House Dog Walkers. It's a hilarious screw-ball comedy of errors and misunderstandings.
Dan Hedaya is the perfect Nixon, IMO. I don't think anyone could have done it better. For you SNL fans, Will Ferrell portrays Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward and Bruce McCulloch from Kids in the Hall is his counterpart, Carl Bernstein.

The more you know about Watergate, the funnier the movie is. For instance, if you know nothing more than there was a break in and something happened that led to Nixon resigning, you won't know why it's so funny that Arlene talks and sings to Dick on his tape for exactly 18 1/2 minutes. Or when Saul Rubinek as Henry Kissenger says "I'll be the only person in this administration who's willing to take responsibility for anything". And all of the jokes that happen with Woodward and Bernstein will go right over your head. So, I highly suggest you brush up on your Watergate before you view.

Oh - and before you go nuts looking for Hello Dolly's - they are the same thing as the Magic Dream Bars you make with the condensed milk. I know. I looked it up. But they don't mention the secret ingredient Betsy's brother keeps in with the walnuts! ;) he he he

0 comments:

Popular Posts

Followers

Much Ado About Russian

www.bookbuzzr.com

Join Hero's Army

Labels

KRW Designs Publishing. Powered by Blogger.