Saturday, August 6, 2011

Still Rocking After All These Years

I’m back! Going to try again. Now that you are well versed in my relationship with snack cakes, I thought I’d discuss something else near and dear to me. The Flintstones.
 
I am a big fan of The Stones! Fred and Barney are the best – and still funny today. No matter how many times I see an episode, I still laugh even though I know what’s going to happen. And no, that does not make me simple, thank you very much (the person who thought that can please go haunt someone else’s blog). I just happen to appreciate the classics.

Come on, you’ve got to love The Flintstones! It’s so clever! The way they use all the animals as gizmos and gadgets, even common everyday household things still amazes me. I love imagining what it must have been like to be part of the team trying to come up with an episode and inventing the prehistoric contraptions. One of my favorites is when Fred is getting ready for work one morning and he reaches out the window and traps a bee inside a clam shell to use like an electric razor. That’s brilliant!

Oh! And all of the special guest stars! Stony Curtis, Gary Granite, Ann-Margrock, Ed Sullystone, Alvin Brickrock. My friend Sue loves the episode where Samantha and Darrin from Bewitched are their new neighbors.
Of course, if you were anything like me as a kid, you and your classmates all tried to memorize the words to the song the carhops sang. You remember, Charlie and Irving!




“Here we come on the run, With a burger on a bun,
And a dab of coleslaw on the side.
Oh, your taste we will tickle, With a cold dill pickle,
And all of our potatoes are french fried, fried, fried.
Our burgers can't be beat, Because we grind our own meat,
Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind.
And as you’re on your way, A tip upon our tray,
We hope to find, find, find, find, find!”

Ha ha ha! Oh yeah! That never gets old! And remember when they found Dino – and he could talk! “You’re drawing a Snorkasaurus aren’t you? Of course you are. Love it, love it, love it!” Classic! I think there have got to be people from multiple generations who either sing, or at least hear in their heads, the anniversary song anytime an anniversary is celebrated. Come on, admit it, you know you do.

I’d like to remind you that the Flintstones were prime time television when they first aired, not Saturday morning fare. They were meant to entertain the adults as well as the kids. So go ahead, and tune into Boomerang or whatever channel is showing them and watch with pride! And just to show that pride, let’s all sign off this blog post with a little sing-a-long. You know you know the words. It’s ok, we won’t tell anyone.
Everybody – SING!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Flintstones are one of my favorite cartoons. There are so many memorable characters. The Creepleys, the Addams family type neighbors, the Hillbillies the "Hates bug music" and Fred as "Hi Fi". True, they may have "jumped the shark" with The Great Gazzo but that's beside the point. Now for the big question....what did Barney do for a living?

Popular Posts

Followers

Much Ado About Russian

www.bookbuzzr.com

Join Hero's Army

Labels

KRW Designs Publishing. Powered by Blogger.