Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Jerry Lewis Telethon It Used to be Cool - Pt 1


When I was a kid, my mom would insist on watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon on Labor Day. Naturally, a member of the MTV generation, I found it really annoying to watch that when so many other things were calling me on the myriad of cable channels. But, hey, I was a kid. I felt bad for the kids they showed with MD, but I couldn't fully appreciate what the telethon was all about.

But my mom, she would tell me every year, over and over, all about how Jerry Lewis dedicated himself to this cause since the 60's. How it grew from one station in New York to hundreds of stations across the country. There was a family a few doors down from us with three daughters, all several years older than me, who were very involved with groups like the Girl Scouts and school organizations that raised money for the Telethon every year. Apparently, they used to put out info on how to run your own fund raising events, like your own MDA Carnival.

She told me how back before cable, everyone who wasn't away on vacation (and even sometimes those who were) would keep the Telethon on all the time so they could see the big stars on performing and talking with Jerry. I heard about the famous reunion of Lewis and Martin, organized by Frank Sinatra. Mom choked up when she told me about the time they raised so much money that Ed McMahon and Jerry Lewis had to paint a "1" on the tote board because there weren't enough digits.

Big corporations, like 7-11 etc., would have special products out to support Jerry's Kids with a portion of the proceeds going to the cause. Then, on Labor Day, you'd see some beg exec from McDonald's or wherever hand over their big check and the timpani would roll and the tote board would show a big new total of money raised. And of course, Jerry would cry, and at the end of it all he would sing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Mom lamented in her final years how none of the really big, influential stars seemed to make time to come on the show for just a few minutes. Sure, some of them could be filming somewhere or on tour, but it used to be important for the A Listers to make time. After all, it's not as if you don't know when Labor Day is going to be. Years in advance even. I think she felt that was one of the bog reasons it had list its popularity. Frankly, I think it was cable. I mean, come on, we can see famous people and movies any time we want on TV (and now on the computer). It's not the draw it once was to see Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, Joe Namath, etc. on TV because you can pretty much see them on your TV whenever you want.

But, I suppose she did have a point. After all, if something special was going to happen, maybe you would turn in. Then again, you'd probably just wait and watch it on YouTube.

Speaking of YouTube.... here for your viewing pleasure, is the reunion of Martin and Lewis. Enjoy!


0 comments:

Popular Posts

Followers

Much Ado About Russian

www.bookbuzzr.com

Join Hero's Army

Labels

KRW Designs Publishing. Powered by Blogger.